Thursday, December 3, 2009

Video of the Week, Standard vs Smooth

First up this week....the grand daddy of all ballroom styles... International Standard. I have yet to learn any of this style...but it was the first, is the oldest, and actually is the hardest to learn correctly. This is the style of ballroom I used to watch on PBS (Public Broadcasting) when I was a kid...long before any of the dance shows that are around now, they used to air these European world championships...the one below is from 2005.





Which style do you like better?

For comparison I have included the American Smooth style of this same dance the Viennese Waltz... As the style name suggests...it seems just us Americans use it...so if dancing around the world is what you are aiming for... stick with Standard. You'll notice the differences almost immediately I'm sure. Actually, the couple featured below are currently rising through the professional ranks as we speak and are certainly a couple to keep an eye on in the coming year.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kat,
you never told me you used to watch ballroom dancing when you were young.....why have you kept that a secret...M.