Sunday, January 6, 2008

As My 28th Year Comes to a Close...


This post is not dancing related, and not weight loss related...directly... so you may be asking why I'm writing... This topic is life related, and as my non-working life is made up primarily of dance and weight loss related activities... I give you the following:

Well, it's about that time of year when I get to turn my own personal odometer over to the next number, and if you know me... you know that I'm fierce about celebrating my birthday! I'm fully aware that this comes off as cocky, self absorbed, and down right irritating to some, if not most of those closest to me. What they don't know is why I become so seemingly insane when it comes down to marking each year of my life. If you've asked me why it's important, the response is generally the same... I live my life for other people, I like to make them happy, my day is one that I don't have to worry if those around me are happy(although I generally do on that day more than most)... a birthday is a special time, I think EVERYONE should get to celebrate the way they want to... Even if someone chooses NOT to celebrate, I may not understand it, but I respect it...

All I really want for my birthday is to not be forgotten...

There are lots of things I write here about my dancing and my weight loss... things I don't discuss with RT and Buddy, and I know of quite a few fellow students and staff alike that like to keep up on my little posts here... some are likely surprised about exactly what I'm feeling or what I'm taking away from each lesson or experience. I gather that this will likely raise a few eyebrows as well...

I am positively insistent on recognizing my birthday because it wasn't so terribly long ago that I didn't think I'd make it this far. That by now I would have been long forgotten either dead or under a bridge somewhere... I don't know if it was where I was in my life, or what I was doing...but the very idea of reaching any age past 25 seemed impossible... when I would think about the future it just kind of stopped at some point before now.

I was half way through my 27th year when I crossed the fated threshold of that dance studio. I no longer thought about the whole tragic way of things as I had before, but I did find out as I was exploring this new found direction that I was on my way to one heck of an early departure... 180lbs overweight is not the way to try and extend my stay here in the land of the living.

Now, after all I have seen, done, and worked for... the very thought that I'll be 29 years old in a week... I am absolutely the healthiest I've EVER been as an adult, and that trend is only going to continue... BLOWS MY MIND to the point where I almost want to give birthday gifts on my birthday to everyone that has supported me throughout it all...

So, my birthday is a time to celebrate, one..that I'm still alive and kicking (preferably while dancing) two...that I LOVE life...and it's just getting lovelier.... and three... that I vow to rock this 29th year even more than 28, and I'll be around to do it all again for years to come!

and once again... ya'll know who you are.... Thank you.

1 comment:

Tipsy McStagger said...

Though it is still a bit early, happy birthday my friend. I only hope you are aware of how proud of you I am. The progress you have made - it isn't easy, I know - but your resolve, dedication and focus are inspirational. By the way, just FYI, you play something of an intregal part in the lives of those around you...don't forget that.