Sunday, October 18, 2009

Harvest Moon 2009

I told you all... I might not be dancing... but I'd still be around! Actually Harvest Moon is the last independent Competition I get to see in the year, so I usually try to attend. Many people have asked me how, on unemployment, I still go to ballroom events... they aren't cheap (typically around $50 to walk in the ballroom). Well, I tell you what, it's not easy... I usually have to beg, borrow, and plead with my checking account weeks and sometimes months in advance just to make sure I have the money to get in.. then I have to figure for parking, and make sure that I don't run myself into the hole... I don't have a credit card... I'm a cash and carry girl... so I'm not running myself into debt about it either. So then why...why do I put myself through all that added financial stress just so I can see the professional dancers I know compete?
It's simple... throughout the time I've been dancing and changing my life... and learning to love my life again... these dance professionals have been there... they've danced with me, taught me, INSPIRED ME, made me laugh when I needed it... and gave a hug when I've cried. How can I not attend these competitions and be part of their cheering section?? It's the only way I know that I can return the support they've shown me. It's important to me to do it.

Now, Harvest Moon.. is a very small competition in comparison to some others, but it is a Chicago Ballroom institution... I believe this was the 46th year.

I also had a sneaking suspicion that all "my" pros would do well. The last few competitions have seen some of them skyrocket to new heights. So I was very excited! I even managed to budget for both nights as the Rising Star (newer professionals) and Open (seasoned professionals) events were spread across two nights, and Fred Astaire Chicago region had pros I support in both categories.

Friday night was the Rising Star events, this was the night I thought would be good. From FADS Buffalo Grove, we had Largo/TNT, HFC/STP, FAF/TSD, and from FADS Michigan Avenue we had RTS with her partner. Also, Theatre Arts was Friday so the couple that's been soaring through the ranks to world class would be there too.

As anticipated it was a smaller competition... but it did draw out some fair competitors. The evening was nice, I got to say hi to all the professionals from both studios and watched with great anticipation.

I can't even get into the details of the evening, I must get straight to results as they were PHENOMENAL...

Rising Star Smooth (Waltz, Tango, Fox Trot, Viennese Waltz) FAF and TSD WON!!!

Rising Star Rhythm (Cha Cha, Rumba, East Coast Swing, Bolero, Mambo) Largo and TNT WON!!! First title ever! So proud of my pro! HFC and STP placed SECOND!

The couple from Michigan Avenue WON Theatre Arts! This is I
believe their 7th title this year alone!

After results like that, no way Saturday could be any better right? WRONG... Saturday's Open events were just as exciting!

Open Smooth - FAF and TSD WIN AGAIN!!!! Their FIRST Open Title! I am SOOOO glad I was there to see it!


Open Rhythm - Largo and TNT place SECOND... simply amazing!
HFC and STP rounded out the tops for us with FOURTH!


RTS and her partner definitely deserve honorable mention here, as they have once again improved since I saw them at Windy City... in fact while they didn't seem to make it out of the Semi Finals there were at least two couples that did in their smooth events that in my humble, professional spectating, opinion did not dance NEARLY as well! Congratulations to you two as well... for a job well done.

And that's the thing about Ballroom, sometimes the judges see the same things you do, and sometimes they don't.. it's kind of the wild card in this whole thing. You never know if the judges are on the same page.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL "MY" PROS... I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!








No comments: