Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thursday Lesson: Cha Cha...and Trotting like a Fox


Hi Gang!
Sorry about being late on this week's lesson post... It's been wicked busy around here!
Ok so here we go....

I had a goal for this week's lesson... Buddy has been extra attentive to making sure that I've got all my elements nailed down in my major dances (the four dances I concentrate on most- Fox Trot, Cha Cha, Rumba, East Coast Swing) so this week I wanted to work on what I consider my two weakest dances. Cha Cha and Fox Trot. The Cha Cha is difficult for me to work on getting really good at because where I feel relatively confident with my Cuban motion in Rumba... the Cha Cha demands that I pick up the pace and do all those hip, knee, and eventually shoulder movements SO MUCH FASTER! I'll get it though I have confidence in that.

On to Fox Trot... aka part of my ballroom nemesis SMOOTH... it requires SO much control! We reviewed frame and technique and as my frustration grew, I let my overly dry totally sarcastic humor fly... with pleasing results. I got a "Gee, Kat you're really funny." HA! Buddy has no idea how hysterical I can be!

Around the floor we went, Buddy was really good about keeping the series of elements/steps in the same order so I could work on pinning down my technique which definately helps. I just hope it doesn't ruin my trying to just follow (I have the predictably horrible habit of anticipating what I think my leader is going to do, which often results in dancing disaster) We'll see, I know most of the social dances at this weekend's competition are smooth and if I get asked to dance, it will likely be by someone I don't normally follow so *fingers crossed* I'll be able to glide across the floor.

We ended the lesson with a brief overview of how a gal/follower should actually stand when dancing smooth (balanced primarily over left leg, spine elongated, shoulders straight, head tilted back, face up etc...) This had me feeling a bit like a gumby type statue, but good information for me to have. THAT will definitely have to be reviewed again.

Not the best lesson, but again... when dancing it's always fun, and I'm generally in a good mood. I have 17 lessons left, after that I don't know what I'll do as continuing really isn't in the personal budget, but if I keep telling myself I can be happy with one lesson a week it will give me time to figure out where this ballroom adventure will continue. As always... I'll keep you posted.

No comments: