Saturday, December 22, 2007

My AMAZING Dance Weekend! - Sunday Competition!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! More dance related activities! So, you see why I didn't want the weekend to end. Sunday was a regional competition and Holiday Ball for the Fred Astaire chain. I arrived later in the afternoon and caught some of the Latin heats, I saw some of RT's students burning the floor! Unfortunately I missed Buddy's entries... Next time I'll have to arrive earlier in the day. I caught up with some dance friends and we chatted about this dance and that. There were some kids competing as well... I mean LITTLE kids... maybe 7 years old... and they were Dynamite! It's so much fun to see the wee ones cutting a rug like that. Makes me wish I would have started dancing ages ago too.

The competition portion of the day concluded and we all ran off to change for the formal evening. I had brought a special dress... one that I've only worn once and has pretty special meaning. I decided to wear my prom dress from 10 years ago! Now wait.... before you scoff and think that I'm totally insane just read for a second. My prom dress is NOT your typical fru fru dress. It's an ankle length tank dress with an empire waist that comes with a long sleeve jacket. The color is a deep purple, and when it moves or creases it shines bright green. I paired it with a hand made original crystal necklace and earrings a friend had designed for me a while ago, and some shiny black heels (2" heels thank you very much!) There...see... NOT your usual prom dress, but then I'm not your usual girl so it works out. This dress is 7/8 sizes smaller than I used to wear a year and a half ago, and while it was still a little tight in the bust, (a problem I have no issue with) the rest of it fit a lot better than I remember! I'll hang on to it for a while, a lot of people seemed to like it...and while it may not be totally socially appropriate that I was telling them it was 10 years old, hey... I'm proud that I got to wear it! So look out! If I have any more formal events thru spring... I just may bust it out of the closet again before it is to big to wear!

The evening's performance was put on by Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Valeriya Kozharinova an absolutely AMAZING show! They are both 21, and currently among the best in the world at what they do. I took some pictures of their Bolero, but unfortunately ran out of pics by the time they got to Jive... Their Jive was truly unreal, I wouldn't have believed legs could move so fast if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! It was a WONDERFUL cap to one of the most fun weekends I've had in a while!

No comments: